Monday, February 22, 2016

Still Report #642 - Trump Rally, Pawleys Island, Sc



So we arrived at the event at Pawleys Island, South Carolina 2 hours ahead of the scheduled start time. My wife had hurt her foot the night before so I dropped her off at the back of the line and parked the car.

I found out from a cop that the venue for the event was a large meeting room at a beautiful southern golf club – the Pawleys Plantation Conference center.


So I was walking to the back of the line thinking “Wow, there aren’t many people here.” There were only 2-300 people in front of us. So I asked a cop where the hall was and he said “this is it.” He said it only holds 500 people and that’s packed in.


I had figured we were going to a large hall – 10.000 people at least. I mean, this was the last day before the primary voting.


I had only brought my small video camera and left the small tripod in the car until I had checked out the room. We waited in line for about 90 minutes, but it went really fast. Everyone was laughing and joking – introducing themselves and offering opinions on the race and the candidates. 
Before I knew it, we were inside the door and were met by two big Secret Service guys and suddenly we were transported into airport security time. Everything was searched and we walked through a metal detector.


Then we were in the room – a charming southern conference room – like where the Kiawanis Club would hold its annual awards dinner/dance – like about 80 by 120 feet. To my surprise, there was no stage and lectern – just a hollowed out space in the middle.


Wow, if that’s where Mr. Trump is going to speak, we were going to be really close to him – 7 rows back. Before we know it, the rally started exactly on time and suddenly, there he was, Donald Trump like in our living room.


He talked casually, no tension, no notes, just walked around this little pit in the center of the room with a wireless mike. Really unbelievable.


Unfortunately, there was no way I was going to go back outside to get my tripod so I just shot by hand from my seat. It’s not perfect, but it sure is a different view of Donald Trump.


I’m Still reporting from Pawley s Island, South Carolina. Good evening.
[insert tape]