Monday, September 14, 2026

The Soundtrack of Revolution: Q50, Tupac, Drill Rap and Following the Breadcrumbs

The Soundtrack of Revolution: Q50, Tupac, Drill Rap and Following the Breadcrumbs

There are certain stories where you don't know exactly what you're looking at.

You see one thing.

Then another.

Then another.

And eventually you have to ask yourself whether you're looking at a series of coincidences, a pattern created by the culture around you, or something more deliberate.

That doesn't mean you automatically know the answer.

It means you investigate.

That's what I mean when I talk about following the breadcrumbs.

And that's how I ended up writing about BloodHound Q50, Tupac Shakur, Chicago drill, Lil Durk, the music industry, intelligence agencies, and the strange possibility that some of the things happening around modern drill culture deserve a much deeper investigation than simply saying, "That's just street shit."

I Liked Q50's Music. I Didn't Like What He Was Doing.

I want to make something clear before anybody misunderstands my position.

I liked Q50's music.

The beats hit. The cadence hit. The kid had talent.

But there were plenty of times I was watching what he was doing and thinking:

Oh my God. What is this motherfucker doing now?

I'd be sitting around with Don and we'd see some new video or some new piece of bullshit and I'd be like, "Look what this kid did now."

And then five minutes later:

"Goddammit, though. That shit hits."

That's the strange relationship you can have with an artist.

You can recognize talent without approving of the behavior.

I didn't like the violence. I didn't like the disrespect. I didn't like the drill culture when it crossed the line into celebrating real death and retaliation. I don't understand killing somebody over a chain. I don't understand robbing somebody over jewelry. And I don't understand turning every disagreement into a potential homicide.

But Q50 was young.

He was 22.

And that's important.

Because a 22-year-old doesn't necessarily have to remain the person he was at 18, 19 or 20.

People change.

People grow up.

People lose friends and suddenly see life differently.

People become fathers.

People get tired.

People survive things.

People wake up.

That possibility mattered to me.

I even told Q50 publicly to get out of Chicago.

I wasn't telling him that because I hated him.

I was telling him because I thought he was talented enough to have a future and was living in an environment where that future could disappear overnight.

And then it did.

Q50's Death

On September 13, 2026, Chicago drill rapper BloodHound Q50, whose real name was Mikquale T. Cooper, was killed in a shooting at a Fuller Park gas station.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Cooper was returning to a Tesla when six gunmen emerged from vehicles and opened fire. He was struck in the chest and shoulder and later pronounced dead. The newspaper also reported that Cooper had recently acknowledged the danger surrounding him, telling DJ Akademiks, "One slipup [and] you're gone."

There is something especially disturbing about that statement in retrospect.

He knew the environment was dangerous.

He knew people wanted him dead.

And yet knowing that doesn't necessarily mean you know how to escape it.

That's one of the biggest tragedies of this entire culture.

People talk about being "at war."

But they're civilians.

They're not soldiers.

A real soldier isn't somebody who loses control and shoots whoever happens to be on the other side. A real soldier is supposed to have discipline. Restraint. The ability to follow rules and control himself under pressure.

If you're a civilian, you can walk away.

You can leave the neighborhood.

You can stop answering the phone.

You can stop making diss records.

You can stop retaliating.

You can break the cycle.

That's what I wanted for Q50.

Not because I thought everything he had done was okay.

Because I thought he might still have time.

The Difference Between Accountability and Revenge

I don't believe people should be murdered because they did bad things.

And I don't want everybody locked in a cage either.

Those two ideas aren't mutually exclusive.

If somebody commits a crime, there is supposed to be a legal system for determining what happened and who is responsible. That's different from somebody deciding they're judge, jury and executioner.

And in Q50's case, there's another question.

Even if you believe he was involved in violence in the past, that doesn't automatically establish that the people who killed him were retaliating for something he personally did to them.

That's particularly important because the entire drill ecosystem can become a cycle of retaliation where people aren't even necessarily killing the person who committed the original offense. They're killing somebody connected to somebody connected to somebody.

Then somebody retaliates for that.

Then somebody retaliates for the retaliation.

And eventually nobody remembers where the cycle started.

That's not war.

That's an engine that feeds itself.

The Fatso Posts

This is where the story becomes much stranger.

After Q50's killing, attention turned toward social-media posts attributed to YFG Fatso, who had previously been connected to Q50 through Chicago's complicated network of friendships, collaborations and beefs.

HotNewHipHop reported that Fatso posted an image of Q50 alongside BloodHound Lil Jeff, an image involving someone burning a $50 bill, and the message:

"We spend 50K today !!!!"

The outlet also reported another message:

"Bet I be da last mf"

along with another message referencing being a "reap." The article emphasized that these posts were being interpreted by fans and were not official accusations or established evidence connecting Fatso to the murder.

This is where I have to be extremely precise.

I'm not going to write:

YFG Fatso confessed to killing Q50.

That's not established.

I'm also not going to write:

The police have proven Fatso did it.

They haven't.

What I will say is that the posts have generated enormous attention because of their timing and content.

It has also been reported that some of these posts appeared in the morning, before Q50's death was publicly known.

I have not independently established the exact timestamp of every post against the first public announcement, so I'm deliberately leaving that as a reported chronology rather than presenting it as proven fact.

But even without that particular timing question, the content is bizarre enough to warrant examination.

Because if someone appears to be saying:

"I'll be the last motherfucker breathing"

immediately around a murder, while also posting imagery involving "50" and a burning fifty-dollar bill, people are naturally going to ask what the hell they're looking at.

That's not proof.

But it is a breadcrumb.

And Then Tupac Enters the Story

Here's where the coincidence gets downright eerie.

The phrase sends you toward Tupac's song "Breathin'", often referred to by the lyric/title phrase "Last MFer Breathin'."

And that song contains imagery about enemies plotting Tupac's death and visions of Tupac being shot in the chest.

Now put the pieces together.

Someone allegedly connected to the Q50 conflict makes an apparent "last motherfucker" reference.

There is "50" imagery.

That sends people back toward a Tupac song involving enemies plotting his death and Tupac being shot in the chest.

Then the person whose rap name is Q50 is actually shot in the chest and killed.

And Q50 dies on September 13, 2026.

Tupac died on September 13, 1996.

Exactly thirty years apart.

At that point, you can understand why people are staring at the screen saying:

What the fuck are we looking at here?

It almost has the absurd quality of a Key & Peele sketch.

Imagine somebody describing the crime in a song, making cryptic posts that seem to reference the same imagery, and then, when everyone notices the parallels, responding:

"What? I don't know what you're talking about."

That's the feeling.

But feeling something is eerie isn't the same thing as proving what caused it.

That's the distinction I keep coming back to.

Facts are not proof of the explanation you attach to them.

The Internet Investigation

And this isn't based on one random post.

In the days following Q50's death, social-media investigators began assembling timelines involving surveillance footage, vehicles, clothing, shoes, faces and alleged connections between people appearing in different pieces of footage.

There is even circulating footage that people say shows a vehicle being stolen near the location around the time of the killing. Other online investigators have attempted to compare the people in that footage with people appearing in Fatso's social-media posts.

Some of those comparisons are striking.

Some may be wrong.

Some may ultimately prove useful to investigators.

Some may simply be people seeing patterns that aren't there.

That's why I'm interested in preserving the material rather than declaring the case solved from my computer.

People online have been discussing this material extensively, including videos and breakdowns from creators such as Seti Nash, Lisa and Poetic Flakko. Other social-media posts are circulating detailed timelines and alleged identifications.

One Reddit discussion, for example, contains users comparing individuals in vehicle-theft footage with people appearing in Fatso's posts and discussing similarities in shoes and clothing. That's community investigation, not a police finding.

Another circulating post describes a supposed digital paper trail involving Fatso and the shooting, including timestamps and shoe comparisons. Again, that's an allegation being investigated online, not an established court finding.

That's the distinction.

The internet can discover leads. It cannot turn a lead into a conviction.

So Who Gave Them the Location?

This is another obvious question.

Q50 was inside a Tesla.

The attackers appeared to know where he was.

So who gave them the location?

Was somebody physically watching him?

Was somebody in his circle communicating?

Was somebody following him?

Was information obtained from a phone?

Was vehicle information involved?

Could somebody have had access to location data?

Those are all investigative questions.

But saying "the CIA hacked his Tesla" would be an enormous leap beyond the available evidence.

Modern vehicles can generate and store enormous amounts of data, and manufacturers can disclose information under certain legal circumstances. But that doesn't establish that anyone accessed Q50's Tesla information, much less that an intelligence agency did so.

So here's where I would put the question:

Who knew where Q50 was, and how did the attackers know?

That's enough.

We don't need to answer the question before we're allowed to ask it.

What If the Police Don't Act?

This is another uncomfortable part of the story.

If people online believe they have identified suspects, and if there really is surveillance footage containing identifiable people, vehicles and other evidence, then eventually there should be a straightforward question:

What did investigators determine?

Not what Reddit determined.

Not what YouTube determined.

Not what TikTok determined.

Not what I determined.

What did investigators determine?

If the online evidence turns out to be wrong, say so.

If investigators identify suspects, say so.

If the evidence is insufficient, explain why.

If prosecutors bring charges, let the evidence be tested in court.

That's how you break the cycle.

Because when there is a vacuum of information, people fill the vacuum themselves.

And when people believe they know who killed their friend but believe the authorities aren't doing anything, that vacuum can become extremely dangerous.

Then retaliation becomes more likely.

And somebody else dies.

Then somebody else wants revenge.

Then another family loses someone.

And the cycle continues.

"We're Civilians."

That's why I have a problem with the language of permanent warfare.

I've seen people essentially say, "We're civilians."

Good.

Then be civilians.

You don't have to be soldiers.

You don't have to kill anybody.

You don't have to avenge every insult.

You don't have to shoot somebody because they disrespected your chain.

You don't have to steal somebody else's chain.

You don't have to make a song about murdering somebody's friend.

You don't have to become the thing you're supposedly fighting.

There is nothing weak about walking away.

There is nothing weak about changing.

There is nothing weak about saying:

I'm done with this shit.

That's actually strength.

And Then There's Lil Durk

This is part of why the Lil Durk situation interests me.

Durk's story is different.

On September 12, 2026, Lil Durk was acquitted of the federal murder-for-hire charges against him. Reuters reported that he remained in custody awaiting a separate federal case involving racketeering and weapons allegations.

Whatever anyone believes about the broader allegations, the legal distinction matters:

an acquittal is an acquittal.

A person is not supposed to be treated as guilty of the charge for which a jury found him not guilty.

And that's important when discussing artists whose lives are intertwined with violence.

Durk lost King Von.

He lost his brother DThang.

Those losses mattered.

You can hear the difference in an artist when grief becomes personal.

That doesn't establish that every subsequent action was justified or that every allegation is false.

It means human beings are affected by what happens to them.

And sometimes people respond to terrible circumstances by becoming worse.

Sometimes they respond by becoming better.

Sometimes they do both at different points in their lives.

That's why I don't want to reduce people to a single photograph of who they were at their worst.

I Wanted Q50 to Change

That's really the part I don't want people to misunderstand.

I liked Q50's music.

I didn't like everything he did.

Sometimes I thought his behavior was completely fucking stupid.

But I didn't want him dead.

I wanted him out of Chicago.

I wanted him to survive long enough to become somebody different.

Maybe he would have.

Maybe he wouldn't have.

Maybe he would have kept doing the same shit for another decade.

I don't know.

That's the tragedy.

We'll never know.

A 22-year-old still has a lot of life left.

A person who is making violent music today doesn't necessarily have to make violent music tomorrow.

A person who grew up around violence doesn't have to die in violence.

A person who was once part of a cycle can become the person who breaks it.

That's what I was hoping for.

And that's why I could watch Q50's videos and simultaneously think:

"What the fuck is wrong with this kid?"

and:

"Goddamn, this motherfucker can rap."

Those aren't contradictory statements.

That's nuance.

But Why Look at the CIA?

This is where people sometimes misunderstand what I'm actually asking.

When I raise the possibility of intelligence involvement, I'm not saying:

The CIA definitely killed Q50.

I don't know that.

There is currently no established evidence that the CIA ordered or carried out Q50's killing.

The reason I think the broader question deserves to be taken seriously is historical.

American intelligence agencies have demonstrably used culture, media, artists and information as instruments of political influence.

That's not a conspiracy theory.

It's documented history.

The CIA's own historical publication describes the Congress for Cultural Freedom as a major Cold War covert operation involving artists, writers, intellectuals, conferences and publications. The agency's own records acknowledge that CIA sponsorship was later exposed.

The State Department openly describes music as an instrument of diplomacy.

Its programs have included American musicians traveling internationally as cultural ambassadors, and modern programs explicitly use hip-hop collaborations, DJs, MCs and other artists for international exchange and conflict-resolution work.

Again:

That does not prove the CIA created drill.

It proves something narrower:

Governments understand that culture matters.

Music matters.

Artists matter.

Young people matter.

Narratives matter.

And governments have deliberately used culture as a tool before.

That's enough reason to investigate questions about cultural influence without pretending the answer is already known.

The CIA Has Also Done Things People Once Would Have Called Crazy

Consider Operation Northwoods.

In 1962, the Joint Chiefs of Staff circulated a proposal for creating pretexts that could justify U.S. military intervention against Cuba. The declassified document included proposed scenarios involving staged or simulated attacks and other deceptive incidents designed to create the appearance of Cuban aggression.

That doesn't mean Northwoods happened.

It means somebody in the U.S. military actually proposed it.

That's an important distinction.

Likewise, the FBI acknowledges that COINTELPRO infiltrated organizations, attempted to sow discord and sought to discredit groups, including the Black Panther Party. The program was later exposed and criticized by Congress.

Again, that doesn't mean every modern allegation involving an intelligence agency is true.

It means the phrase "the government would never do something like that" is historically inadequate.

Governments have done secret things.

Intelligence agencies have infiltrated organizations.

Institutions have manipulated information.

Cultural influence has been deliberately cultivated.

Sometimes these things were denied until documents came out.

That is why evidence matters.

And 9/11 Raises Similar Questions About Knowledge Versus Responsibility

The same distinction matters when discussing 9/11.

There is documented evidence that U.S. agencies possessed significant warnings about al-Qaeda before September 11.

There are also disputed claims about what particular officials knew, what information was shared, and what intelligence operations such as Able Danger actually identified.

Those questions deserve evidence.

But there is a huge difference between:

"Officials had warnings."

and:

"Officials planned the attacks."

The first can be documented.

The second requires a much higher evidentiary burden.

That's exactly the standard I want to apply to Q50.

If somebody claims an intelligence agency infiltrated a group, ask:

Who?

When?

How?

What document?

What communication?

What witness?

What financial trail?

What surveillance?

What forensic evidence?

Don't start with the conclusion.

Follow the evidence.

The Drill Question

Comedian Kurt Metzger has publicly entertained the provocative idea that the CIA played a role in the development of drill rap. That's an interesting hypothesis, but a hypothesis is not a historical fact.

I've also looked at arguments made by artists such as Ice Cube about the relationship between the music business and the prison industry.

Those conversations raise legitimate questions about incentives.

But incentives aren't evidence